|CITY OF WEST MIAMI POLICE DEPARTMENT|
901 SW 62nd AVENUE
WEST MIAMI, FLORIDA 33144
Phone (305) 266-0530 Fax (305) 266-0970
Police Applicant Drug Policy
It is the policy of the West Miami Police Department to establish a drug free
workplace in accordance with State and National efforts. Drug use or abuse by
applicants will be cause of disqualification from employment consideration, except in
very limited cases. All applicants will be polygraphed. If you do not meet the below
criteria, do not apply.
1. NO marijuana use within the last 5 years.
2. NO marijuana use past the age of 21 years.
3. NO chronic marijuana usage during any period of time.
4. NO illicit cocaine use.
5. NO illicit heroin, opium or derivative use.
6. NO use of crack, ice, speed, hash, LSD, qualudes, rohypnol, or any other illicit
drugs, except as required by law enforcement duties.
8. NO abuse of, or fraud involving prescription drugs.
9. NO conviction of any alcohol related offense within the last 5 years, nor more than
once in entire lifetime.
treatment and remission for past 10 years.
to keep kids off drugs
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA
The West Miami Police Department is in Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regards to race, color, natural origin, sex, age, handicap, marital status, religion or any other legally protected status.
NOTICE: The following additional documents must be attached to this application:
□ Police Officer □ Community Service Aide
□ Reserve or Auxiliary Officer □ Communications
Application must be printed legibly in black ink. All questions must be answered. Applications
which are not complete will not be considered. If space provided is not sufficient for complete
answers or you wish to furnish additional information, attach sheets of the same size as this
application, and number answers to correspond with questions. You must attach a color, portrait
style photograph of yourself to the front of this application.
1. Last Name____________________________First____________________________MI_____
Home Address ________________________________________________________________
Home Phone _________________________________Cell Phone _______________________
2. Other: List all other names you have used including circumstances and time periods you used them. (For example: Maiden name, former name(s), or nickname(s).
3. Date and Place of Birth: _______________/______________/____________/_____________________
DOB City State Country (if not the US)
4. Are you a United States citizen? □ Yes □ No
5. Social Security Number: _________-_______-________
6. Marital Status: □ Married □ Divorced □ Separated □ Widowed □ Never Married
7. Do you have or have you ever applied for a passport? □ Yes □ No Passport No. _________________
8. Height: __________ Weight: _________ Eye Color: ____________ Hair Color: _____________
*Attach diploma or official transcript from last institution of higher education attended.
Major____________________________________ Minor _______________________________
3. Other Schools (Trade, Vocational, Business or Military):
4. Describe any awards, honors, citations, positions held in school organizations, and any other
Special recognition you received while attending school:
5. Indicate any foreign language you can Speak: _________________________________________
6. Indicate any specialized law enforcement education/training not listed on page 2:
7. Did you receive a certificate * for this training? □ Yes □ No Certificate No. _______________
* Attach a copy
8. Describe any special abilities, interests, and hobbies including the degree of proficiency:
9. Indicate any type of special license such as pilot, radio operator, etc., showing licensing authority,
where the license was first issued, and date current license expires (except vehicle operator’s license):
10. Indicate any special skills you possess and equipment you can use which may be related to law
enforcement work. (For example: two-way radio communications, breathalyzer, speed detection
equipment and/or firearms):
11. A) Typing Speed___________
12. Have you used computers in your prior or current positions? □ Yes □ No
If yes, list programs/software used:
13. Are you willing to work Nights? □ Yes □ No
Weekends? □ Yes □ No
Holidays? □ Yes □ No
Shift Work? □ Yes □ No
employment while attending school. All time must be accounted for. If unemployed for a period, set forth dates
2. Have you ever been dismissed or asked to resign from any job or employer? □ Yes □ No
a. Have you had any disciplinary action taken against you from any employer? □ Yes □ No
3. Have you resigned, or left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of misconduct or unsatisfactory job
performance ? □ Yes □ No *If yes to questions #2 or #3, provide details on page 13.
4. If you were previously employed by a law enforcement agency, were you ever the subject of an internal affairs
investigation? ______ Yes ______ No * If yes, provide details on page 13.
5. Have you ever applied to any law enforcement agency for employment which is not listed above as an employer?
□ Yes □ No *If yes, provide the name of all agencies and date of employment application for employment.
6. Do you own a business, or are you a partner or corporate officer in any business or organization not listed previously
as a current or former employer? □ Yes □ No If yes, provide name and address or business, corporation or
organization and describe your relationship or position.
Actual places of residences for past 10 years – list chronologically all addresses, including residences while at school and in military. For college on campus residences, give dormitory name, city and state. If residences in military service cannot be shown as street address, indicate complete military unit designation and location by city and state. If post office box, give location of post office.
1. Have you ever been arrested, charged or received a notice or summons to appear for any criminal violation?
□ Yes □ No
2. To your knowledge, has any member of your family ever been arrested for other than traffic violations? □Yes □ No
If yes to questions # 1 or 2, list all such matters even if not formally charged, or no court appearances, or found not
guilty, or nolo contendre to any charge for which adjudication was withheld, or matter settled by payment of fine or
forfeiture of collateral. (Include your juvenile records and any sealed or expunged records, if any.)
2. Have you or your spouse ever been a plaintiff or defendant in a court action? □ Yes □ No
3. Have you ever been detained by any law enforcement officer for investigative purpose or to your knowledge have
you ever been the subject or a suspect in any criminal investigation? □ Yes □ No
4. Have you ever been fingerprinted for any reason (arrest, job application, military, etc.)? □ Yes □ No
Provide details _______________________________________________________________________________
1. Are you a licensed Florida automobile operator or chauffer? □ Yes □ No
License No. ___________________________ Date of Expiration: ______________Restrictions: _______________
2. Do you hold or have you ever held an operators or chauffeur license in another state? □ Yes □ No If yes,
provide state(s), name used and approximate dates license(s) was/were held.
3. Have you ever been denied issuance or have you ever had a license suspended or revoked? □ Yes □ No
If yes, provide complete details including why license was revoked.
4. Have you ever received a ticket or been charged with a traffic violation (excluding parking tickets)? □ Yes □ No
5. List all vehicles you currently own, either singly, jointly or in a company or corporation name:
1. Have you ever served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States? □ Yes □ No
**If National Guard or Reserve list Basic Recruit Training active duty periods**
Branch of Service: ____________________________________ Highest Rank: ____________________________
Serial #: ________________Duty Dates: From _______ To: ________From: _________To: _______
From _______ To: ________From: _________To: _______
2. Date and type of discharge:______________________________________________________________________
3. Are you now or have you ever been a member of a reserve or the National Guard? □ Yes □ No
4. If yes, state the branch of service, name and location of your unit and whether you attend drills, meetings, or camps:
5. Was any type of disciplinary action taken against you in the service? □ Yes □ No If yes, please provide:
Date: ___________________ Place:_______________________________________________________________
Nature of Offense: _____________________________________________________________________________
Action Taken: _________________________________________________________________________________
6. Have you ever served in the Armed Forces of a foreign country? □ Yes □ No
If yes, please specify countries and dates.
7. Are you designated as disabled because of any military service? □ Yes □ No
8. ^ Check the appropriate block if you are claiming veterans’ preference.
Documentation substantiating your claim must be furnished at the time of application.
□ 1. A veteran with a service-connected disability who is eligible for or receiving compensation, disability retirement,
or pension under public laws administered by the U.S. Veterans Administration and the Department of Defense, or
□ 2. The spouse of a veteran who cannot qualify for employment because of total and permanent disability, or the spouse
of a veteran missing in action, captured, or forcibly detained by a foreign power, or
□ 3. A veteran of any war who has served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more, or who has served 180
consecutive days or more since January 31, 1955 and who was honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the
United States of America if any part of such active duty was performed during a wartime era, excluding active duty for
□ 4. The un-remarried widow or widower of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability.
Have you claimed and been employed using veterans’ preference since October 1, 1987? □ Yes □ No
If yes, please give name of employer: _____________________________________________________________
NOTE: Under Florida law, preference in appointment shall be given first to those persons included in 1 and 2 above,
and second to those persons included in 3 and 4 above. If an applicant claiming veterans’ preference for a
vacant position is not selected for the vacant position, he/she may file a complaint with the Division
of Veterans’ Affairs, P.O. Box 1437, St. Petersburg, Florida 33731.
** Include Zip Codes**
2. Social Acquaintances: Give three (3) social acquaintances in your own age group (including both sexes) who have
known you well for the past five (5) years.
** Include Zip Codes**
3. Are you acquainted with any employee of the City of West Miami or the West Miami Police Department?
□ Yes □ No If so, what is your relationship to them? __________________________________________________________________________________________
1. List all clubs, societies, organizations and memberships of which you are, or have been a member:
2. Are you now or have you ever been a member of any foreign or domestic organization, association, movement,
group or combination or persons which has adopted, or shows a policy of advocating or approving the commission
of acts of force or violence to deny other persons their rights under the constitution of the United States, or which
seeks to alter the form of government of the United States by unconstitutional means? □ Yes □ No
3. Have you ever made a financial or other material contribution to any organization of the type described in
question #2 above? □ Yes □ No
4. At the time of your membership, participation, or contribution, did you know of any unlawful aims of the
organization? □ Yes □ No
5. Did you intend to promote any unlawful aims of the organization? □ Yes □ No
If yes, to question #2, #3, #4, or #5, explain including name of organization and location.
1. Do you or have you ever owned any stock or interest in any firm, partnership or corporation wholly or partly in
the sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages? □ Yes □ No
2. Are you now issued or have you ever been issued a license to engage in a business or profession? □ Yes □ No
3. Was license ever cancelled, suspended or revoked? □ Yes □ No
If yes to question #1, #2 or #3, please provide details including the type of license or certificate, the agency that
issued the license, effective date of license and license number.
1. Do you have any sources of income other than your salary or the salary of your spouse? □ Yes □ No
Specify each with an estimated annual amount.
2. Are you or your spouse indebted to anyone? □ Yes □ No If yes, please list all debts over $500.00. Be sure
to include student loans and charge accounts. Also, list any debt where payment is past due, regardless of amount.
b. Had a legal judgment rendered against you for a debt? □ Yes □ No
If yes to any of these questions, please provide details.
4. Have your accounts ever been placed in the hands of a collection agency? □ Yes □ No If yes, give details:
During your background investigation, you may be asked to provide a current credit report, along with a copy of
your last year’s Federal Income Tax Return. You should have these documents readily available.
I understand that my appointment or employment will be contingent upon the results of a complete background
investigation. I am aware that my omission, falsification, misstatement or misrepresentation will be the basis for my
disqualification as an applicant or my dismissal from the West Miami Police Department. I agree to the conditions
and certify that all statements made by me on this application are true, correct and complete, to the best of my
knowledge. I further fully understand and consent to a polygraph examination concerning the veracity of my
responses to the information requested on this application or which is discovered as a result of the background
investigation, or any physical examination or drug test. I also understand that I will be fingerprinted. I understand
that this employment application shall become property of the West Miami Police Department and that it and the
information received in responses to the background examination are public records.
I also understand that I may be required to furnish the West Miami Police Department with a copy of my Income
Tax return for the year preceding this application and for each year during my employment or appointment. I
further understand and agree that my employment or appointment will be contingent upon the results of a complete
drug test and that I may be required to take drug tests during the term of my employment or appointment with West
Miami Police Department.
I understand that the use of drugs or alcohol is not permitted during work or duty time, whether paid or unpaid, in
the areas, including vehicles, where work is performed by employees or appointees. I understand that my continued
employment or appointment may be contingent upon the results of medical or psychological examinations that I
may be required to take during the term of my employment or appointment and the maintenance of personal
physical fitness, to the degree necessary, to perform satisfactorily the duties of my position or assignment with the
West Miami Police Department.
I understand the following types of information will be collected: employment and educational histories; medical,
military, insurance, credit and financial information; motor vehicle and police records; information about your
abilities, family, character, lifestyle, and organization memberships, and information about any current drug use via
drug testing. Information will be obtained by letter, by telephone and by personal interview with both primary and
secondary sources. This information is used as one element for appointment decisions. I authorize any of the
persons or organizations referenced in this application to furnish information, personal or otherwise, regarding my
ability and fitness for employment or appointment with the West Miami Police Department and I relieve all such
parties from any and all liability for any damage that might result from furnishing such information to the West
Miami Police Department .
I agree to conform and abide by the rules, regulations and orders of the West Miami Police Department and
acknowledge that these rules, regulations and orders may be changed, interpreted, withdrawn or added to by the
West Miami Police Department, at its discretion, at any time and without any prior notice to me. I understand that
failure to abide by the rules, regulations and orders of the West Miami Police Department may be grounds for my
termination of employment.
_______________________________ _______________________________ __________________
Applicant Name Printed Applicant Signature Date
_______________________________ _______________________________ __________________
Witness Name Printed Witness Signature (Required) Date
Name:__________________________________ Social Security No. ____________________________
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS CONFIDENTIAL AND
WILL NOT BE MADE AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC INSPECTION.
1. Applicant’s Current Address:
House Number Street Name Apt. # City County State Zip Code
Mailing address if different from above.
_________________________ _________________________ _________________________
Home Telephone Number Cellular Telephone Number Work Telephone Number
2. Spouse’s Name, Social Security number, Address and cellular phone number.
Name Social Security #
Address Cellular Phone
3. Children’s Names and Ages:
4. Former Spouse(s) Name and Address:
5. Are you now able to participate in defensive tactics, firearms or physical training, operation of a motor vehicle, or
otherwise perform the duties set forth in the job description or task analysis related to the position for which you
applied? □ Yes □ No
6. If a physical abilities test or examination is required for this position, would you be able to take this physical
test or examination? □ Yes □ No
8. Would you require any special accommodation(s) to take the physical abilities test or examination? If yes,
explain. □ Yes □ No ___________________________________________________________________
9. Do you now, or have you ever used, possessed, supplied, or sold any narcotics or controlled substance such as.
but not limited to, marijuana, cocaine, LSD, amphetamines, heroin, steroid or any drug of a similar nature?
□ Yes □ No
a. Drug: _________________________________________________________________________________
b. Circumstances: _________________________________________________________________________
c. Number of times used/possessed/supplied/sold:_________________________________________________
d. First time used/possessed/supplied/sold: ______________________________________________________
e. Last time used/possessed/supplied/sold:________________________________________________________
10. Do you currently use any narcotic or controlled substance, or have you used such a narcotic or controlled
substance within the last year? □ Yes □ No
11. Please provide name and address of next of kin or other person to be contacted in case of an emergency:
Name Address Phone No.
12. Please provide the name and address of your personal or family physician to be contacted in case of an
Name Address Phone No.
The following information is solely for the purpose of compliance with federal regulations (item 13 – 17):
13. Race/Ethnicity (Check only one)
W ( ) White, Non-Hispanic A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North America, or the Middle East.
B ( ) Black, Non-Hispanic A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
S ( ) Hispanic A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American or other Spanish Culture of origin
regardless of race.
A ( ) Asian or Pacific Islander A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent,
or the Pacific Islands. This area includes, for example: China, Japan, Korea, The Phillipine Islands and Samoa.
I ( ) American Indian or A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North America, who maintain cultural identification
Alaskan Native through tribal affiliation or community recognition.
14. □ Male □ Female 15. Date of Birth: _____/ ______/______
16. Place of Birth: _________________________________
City, County, State
17. US Citizen: □ Yes □ No Native: : □ Yes □ No
Naturalized Certificate No. ________________________________
If derived, parent Certificate No. ____________________________
Date, Place, Court:__________________
If you need a question answered or further information on completing this application, contact:
City of West Miami Police Department
901 SW 62 Avenue
West Miami, Florida 33144
(305) 266-0970 Fax
APPLICANT CONTACT ACTIVITY LOG
FOR OFFICE USE ONLY
( ) Birth Certificate ( ) Drivers’s License ( ) References / Employers Complete
( ) High School Diploma ( ) FL Driver’s License Addresses and Phone Numbers
( ) Discharge – DD214 ( ) Notarized Authorization ( ) Citizenship Certification
( ) SS Card ( ) Complete Address/Phone No. ( ) Name Change