|Œije Uní berat tp of ^pbnep|
FOR THE YEARS
THOMAS HENRY TENNANT, Government Printer."
PUBLISHER TO THE UNIVERSITY,
KEY TO THE PLAN OF UNIVERSITY
A—The Great Hall.
C —Fisher Dbrary.
F —Maoleay Museum and Botany.
N —McMaster Laboratory.
0 :—Engineering, Civil and Mechanical.
P —Electrical Engineering.
Q—Bank Block (Engineering Technology).
R—Chemistky and Organic Chemistry.
S —Old Medicad School
T—School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.
TJ—Mathematics and Physics.
Y—New Medical School.
•k —Post Office.
In place of the Calendar for 1945 a Calendar Supplement is
issued for the years 1945-1946, containing in general all neces-
sary information regarding degrees, diplomas, matriculation,
fees, courses of study, and the like.
Any other information will be readily supplied on application,
to the Registrar.
TABLE OF CONTENTS.
Calendar fob 1946
By-Laws of the University
Faculty of Arts ...
School of Divinity
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Veterinary Science
Faculty of Agriculture
Faculty of Economics
Faculty of Architecture
Degrees in more than one Faculty
Degree of Doctor... ■
Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science
Matric ul ation
Table of Fees
Time Tables of Lectures
Courses of Study for 1946
"The University of Sydney was incorporated by an Act of the
Legislature of New South Wales, which received the Koyal
Assent on the 1st of October, 1850. This Act was amended by
^subsequent Acts, enlarging the scope of the University, and th«
whole have been consolidated in the University and University
Colleges Act, 1900-1937. The consolidated act was: published
in full in the University Calendar for 1939.
By a Royal Charter issued 7th February, 1858, the same rank,
style, and precedence are granted to Graduates of the University
of Sydney as are enjoyed by Graduates of Universities within
the United Kingdom. The Royal Charter was published in
full in the University Calendar for 1939.
By the University and University Colleges Act of 190G and
the subsequent Act of 1912, the University of Sydney is declared
to be a body politic and corporate, consisting of a Senate con-
stituted of four Fellows appointed by the Governor, one Fellow
elected by the members of the Legislative Council, one Fellow
-elected by the members of the Legislative Assembly, five Fellows
representative of the teaching staff of the University, ten Fellows
elected by the graduates of the University, three Fellows
elected by the aforesaid Fellows, and the Vice-Chancellor
for the time being. The Act of 1912 provided that in
addition to the ten Fellows elected by the ' graduates, The
Honourable Sir Normand MacLaurin and His Honour Judge
Backhouse should each during his life be a Fellow of the Senate.
The term of office of a Fellow is fixed by statute at five years,
and at two years in the case of Fellows representative of the
teaching staff. The Act of 1936 provides for the election of an
additional Fellow, a Graduate of the University of Sydney, tn
be representative of the undergraduates. The term of the office
of Chancellor is fixed by by-law at three years; that of the
Deputy-Chancellor is limited by statute to one year. In both
-cases the retiring officer is eligible for re-election. The Senate
has power to appoint all Professors and other Officers, and has
■the entire management and superintendence over the affairs of
the University, with power to make by-laws governing the disci-
pline, curriculum, and other matters, which by-laws, however,
-must be submitted for the approval of the Governor:
The Senate is empowered to give such instruction, and to
grant such degrees and certificates in the nature of degrees as it .
thinks fit, in all branches of knowledge. Women are admitted
to all University privileges equally with men.
From 1916 to 1937 the University had a statutory annual
endowment of £30,000 from the Government of New South
Wales, and it also received special Parliamentary appropriations
for specific purposes, including Evening and University Exten-
sion Lectures; Departments of Agriculture and Veterinary
Seience, of Botany, Organic Chemistry (Pure and Applied) ;
Economics; and Mechanical Engineering; Anthropology; the
maintenance of Science Research Scholarships; Tutorial Classes
and other purposes; provision was also made by statute for a
Chair of Architecture. Under the Act of 1937 the Statutory
annual endowment has been fixed at £100,000; this amount
includes the previous annual endowment of £30,000, the special
appropriations mentioned before, and provides an increase of
approximately £32,000 in the annual endowment. The Univer-
sity also derives income from the Challis Fund, the McCaughey
Fund, and the Oswald Watt Fund for general purposes; from
the Peter Nicol Russell Fund for the School of Engineering;
the Fisher Fund for the Library; the Bosch Fund for the
Faculty of Medicine, and the fees of students.
There are ten Faculties in the University, viz., Arts, Law,
Medicine, Science, Engineering, Dentistry, Veterinary Science,
Agriculture, Economic.*, and Architecture. t
In the Faculty of Arts three Degrees are given—namely,
Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts and Doctor of Letters. The
curriculum of study for the Pass Degree of B.A. extends over
a period of not less than three years, during which students are
required to attend lectures and pass examinations. Honours
Schools have been established providing courses for the Honours
B.A. Degree extending over four years.
Courses for Diplomas in Education and in Anthropology are
Evening Lectures are given, which include all the subjects
necessary for the Pass Degree of Bachelor of Arts, with limited
In the Faculty of Law the Degrees of LL.B. and LL.D. are
given. The curriculum of study for the Degree of LL.B. extends
over four years. The Degree of Bachelor of Laws is recognised
under certain conditions by the Board for the admission of
Barristers in New South Wales as a qualification for admission
to the Bar.
In the Faculty of Medicine lour Degrees are granted, viz.,
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Doctor of Medicine,
and Master of Surgery. The course of study for the Degrees
of M.B. and B. S. extends over a period of six years. Diplomas
in Public Health, Tropical Medicine, Tropical Hygiene,
Psychological Medicine, Radiology, Anaesthesia, Clinical
Pathology, Laryngology and Otorhinology, Gynaecology and
Obstetrics, and Ophthalmology are also granted.
The Degrees in Medicine and Surgery granted by the Uni-
versity of Sydney may be registered upon the Colonial List of
the British Medical Register, under section 13 of The Imperial
Medical Act of 1886.
In the Faculty of Science the Degrees of Bachelor of Science,
Master of Science, Doctor of Science, Bachelor of Science in
Forestry and Bachelor of Science in Physical Education are
given. The course for the Pass Degree of B.Sc. extends over a
period of at least three years and for the Honours B.Sc. Degree
over a period of four years. For the Degree of Bachelor of
Science in Forestry two years are spent at the University and
two years at the Australian Forestry School at Canberra.
Courses for the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Physical
Education extend over four years.
In the Faculty of Engineering Degrees of Bachelor are given
in the several branches of Engineering, viz., Civil Engineering,
Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Mining and Metallurgy,
Engineering Technology and Aeronautical Engineering. The
curriculum covers at least four years.
The degrees of Master of Engineering and Doctor of Science
in Engineering are also given.
In the Faculty of Dentistry the curriculum, extends over a
period of four years, leading to the degree of Bachelor of Dental
Surgery. The degrees of Master of Dental Surgery and Doctor
of Dental Science are also given.
In the Faculty of Veterinary Science there are granted the
Degrees of Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Doctor of
Veterinary Science. For the Bachelor's degree a curriculum of
five years is prescribed.
In the Faculty of Agriculture the curriculum, extending over
four years, leads to the Pass Degree of Bachelor of Science in
Agriculture. For the Honours Degree, a further year's study is
required. Degrees of Master of Science in Agriculture and
Doctor of Science in Agriculture are also given.
In the Faculty of Economics there are granted the Degree*
of Bachelor and Master of Economics, the course of study for
the former of which extends over a period of not less than four
In the Faculty of Architecture there is a five-year curriculum
leading to the degree of Bachelor of Architecture.
Degrees of Bachelor of Divinity and Doctor of Divinity are
Courses for two years leading to a Diploma in Social Studies
have been established.
Courses of Lectures in connection with the scheme for Uni-
versity Extension are delivered in Sydney and other places upon
application. Each course consists of six or ten lectures, and
concludes with an examination. Those persons who have attended
iiny course regularly, and passed the concluding examination,
receive University Certificates to that effect. The subjects of the
lectures have hitherto been English Literature, Modern History,
Ancient History, Political Economy, Logic and Mental Philo-
sonhy, Commercial Law. Science. &c.
An Act to provide for the establishment of Colleges of Resi-
dence in connection with different religious denominations was
passed by the Legislature during the Session of 1854. Ample
assistance was offered towards their endowment; and the main-
tenance of the fundamental principles of the University—the
association of students without respect of religious creeds, in the
cultivation of secular knowledge—is secured consistently with
the most perfect independence of the College authorities within
their own walls. Colleges in connection with the Church of
England, the Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan-
Methodist Churches, have been established. A College for
"Women has also been established on a non-sectarian basis. The
Uplleges have all been erected on the University grounds.
Under the Act of 1937 the Senate may, with the approval of
the Governor, establish and maintain one or more colleges
outside the Sydney metropolitan area. The first college to be
established is the New England University College, situated at
Armidale; courses are provided in the subjects of English,
Latin, French, German, Philosophy, Psychology, Economics,
History, Pbysics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology,
Geology and Geography.
The University (Amendment) Act of 1912 makes provision
for the allotment of Exhibitions by the Senate to students
desirous of entering the University. Such Exhibitions are
granted on the results of the Leaving Certificate Examinations
held in pursuance of the Public Instruction Act of 1880 and
Amending Acts, and exempt the holders from payment of
Matriculation, Tuition, and Degree Fees. They are tenable in
any Faculty. The Exhibitions are granted irrespective of
sex, and are held subject to the by-laws of the Senate, which
determines the annual number to be allotted to each Faculty or
Department. The number of Exhibitions awarded annually has
been 200. The Act of 1936 provides that 100 public exhibitions
shall be allotted to candidates highest in order of merit at the
Leaving Certificate or Higher Leaving Certificate Examination
(whichever may be adopted) ; in allotting the remaining 100
exhibitions the circumstances or income of the candidate and his
family shall be taken into account.
^gimeg Pntferstty (Eakttta.
Entries close for the Matriculatioa Examination.
First Sunday after Epiphany.
Standing Committee of the Professorial Board.
Second Sunday after Epiphany.
Professorial Board meets.
Third Sunday after Epiphany.
Finance Committee meets.
Applications close for Public Exhibitions.
ß]jhnz\i Jättttestty fflalettítar.
Fourth Sunday after Epiphany.
Fifth Sunday after Epiphany.
Standing Committee of the Professorial Board.
Applications close for Bursaries.
Professorial Board meets. Matriculation Exam-
Finance Committee meets.
Js>tîîm*>g Pmfarsttg (Üaíertímr.
Jijjhney pnióersttjj (Eaienèar.