CURRICULUM VITAE: JOHN EDWARD AKIN, PhD PE
Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Rice University
Professor of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Rice University
Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Department
6100 Main Street, Mail Stop 321
Houston, Texas 77005-1892
(713) 348-4879, 348-5423 (FAX), 523-4770 (home), 857-9625 (cell)
Tennessee Polytechnic Institute, B.S., Civil Engineering, 1964
Tennessee Technological University, M.S., Engineering Mechanics, 1966
Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, 1968
Elected Fellow Americam Society Mechanical Engineers, 1987
Editorial Board, Engineering Computations, 1984 to present
Listed: "Who's Who in Computational Science and Engineering"
Listed: "Who's Who in America, Science and Engineering"
Listed: "Who's Who in Engineering", "American Men & Women in Science"
Listed: "Strathmore's Who's Who"
Professional and Technical Societies
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Fellow)
American Society of Civil Engineers (Member)
American Society for Engineering Education (Member)
Society of Petroleum Engineers (Member)
U.S. Association for Computational Mechanics (Member)
Engineering Computations (Member of Editorial Board)
Advances in Engineering Software
ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics
International Journal of Numerical Methods for Engineering
ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics Division
Communications in Applied Numerical Methods
National Science Foundation
Professional Academic Experience
7-1983 to Present: Rice University, Mechanical Engineering
and Materials Science Department, Houston, Texas
Professor, 1983 to present
Chairman, 1986 to 1991, 1997, 1998.
1-1998 to 8-1998: University of Texas at Austin, Texas Institute
for Computational Mechanics, Austin, Texas;
9-1988 to 8-1997: University of Texas Medical School
Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
Adjunct Professor of Surgery.
6-1968 to 6-1983: University of Tennessee
Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Knoxville, TN, Asst Prof, 6-68 to 6-72
Assoc Prof, 6-72 to 6-77, Professor, 6-77 to 8-83.
8-1978 to 12-1978: California Institute of Technology, Pasadena,
Division of Engineering and Applied Science,
N.S.F. Visiting Professor
1-1978 to 7-1978: Brunel University, Institute of Computational
Mathematics, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England;
S.R.C. Senior Visiting Fellow.
8-1977 to 12-1977: University of Texas at Austin, Texas Institute
for Computational Mechanics, Austin, Texas;
9-1966 to 3-1967: Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Department of
Engineering Mechanics, Blacksburg, Virginia;
Professional Engineer, State of Tennessee, No. 6819
Professional Engineer, State of Texas, No. 59330
Professional Engineer, State of Arkansas, No. 9768
7. Finite Element Analysis with Error Estimators, Elsevier, New York, 2005, (ISBN 0-7506-7622-2).
6. Object-Oriented Programming Via Fortran 90, Cambridge University Press, 2003, (ISBN 0-521-52408-3).
5. Finite Elements for Analysis and Design, Academic Press, London, 1994, (ISBN 0-12-0476533).
4. Computer Assisted Mechanical Design, Prentice-Hall,1989,(ISBN 0-13-165895-6).
3. Finite Element Analysis for Undergraduates, Academic Press, London, 1987, (ISBN 0-12-047655-X).
2. Applications and Implementation of Finite Element Methods, Academic Press, London, 1982, (ISBN 0-12-047650-9).
1. (Editor with W. H. Gray) Computational Methods in Fusion Energy Research, ASME Special Publication, PVP-PB-032, New York, 1978.
7. Canadian Patent 2,207,797 "Method and Apparatus for Conditioning Fluid Flow", July, 2003.
6. U.S. Patent 6,065,683 "Method and Apparatus for Conditioning Fluid Flow", May, 2000.
5. U.S. Patent 5,992,763 "Nozzle and Method for Enhancing Fluid Entrainment", November, 1999.
4. U.S. Patent 5,941,461 "Nozzle Assembly and Method for Enhancing Fluid Entrainment", August, 1999.
3. U.S. Patent 5,921,476 "Method and Apparatus for Conditioning Fluid Flow", July, 1999.
2. UK Patent GB2310620B, "Method and Apparatus for Conditioning Fluid Flow", Nov., 1998.
1. U.S. Patent 5,785,258 "Method and Apparatus for Conditioning Fluid Flow", July, 1998.
125. (With Tezduyar, T.E., Ungor, M.), "Computations with the Mixed Interface Tracking/Interface Capturing Technique", JSME Summer Meeting, Tokyo, September 2005.
124. (With Tezduyar, T.E., Ungor, M.), "Computation of Flow Problems with the Mixed Interface Tracking/Interface Capturing Technique", Computers & Fluids, to appear, 2005.
123. (With Tezduyar, T.E., Ungor, M.), "Flow Calculations with the Mixed Interface Tracking/Interface Capturing Technique", Amer. Soc. Mech. Engr., Winter Annual Meeting, Nov., 2004.
122. (With Tezduyar, T.E.), "SUPG stablization parameter calculated from the
quadrature-point components of the element-level matrices", European Cong. Comp. Meth. Appl. Sci. and Engr., July, 2004.
121. (With Tezduyar, T.E., Ungor, M., and Mittal, S.), "Calculation of the advective limit of the SUPG stablization parameter for linear and higher order elements", Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. and Engr., 193, 1909-1922, 2004.
120. (With Tezduyar, T.E., Ungor, M., and Mittal, S.), "Stabilization Parameters and Smagorinsky Turbulence Model",J. of Applied Mechanics, 70, 1-8, Jan., 2003.
119. (With Singh, M.), "Object-Oriented P-Adaptive Finite Element System", Advances in Engineering Software, 33, 7, 461\-468, 2002.
118. (With Ungor, M., Tezduyar, T.E., and Mittal, S.), "Stabilization and Turbulence Treatments in Incompressible Flows", World Congress of Computational Mechanics, July, 2002.
117. (With Tezduyar, T.E., and Ungor, M.), "Stabilization Parameters Computed from Quadratic and Cubic Elements", Proceedings, Sixth Japan-US International Symposium on Flow Simulation and Modeling, May, 2002.
116. (With Jefferson, C.), "Effect of Patch Selection on Recovered Second Derivatives Accuracy", Proc., U.S. Nat. Cong. Computational Mechanics, August, 2001.
115. (With Shadnam, M.R., and Mofid, M.), "On the Dynamic Response of a Rectangular Plate with a Moving Mass", J. of Thin Walled Structures, 39, 9, pp. 797\-806, 2001
114. (With Bass, J.), "Modeling of Asymmetric Turbulent Jet Flows", Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. and Engr., 191, pp 515\-524, Dec., 2001
113. (With J. Arjona-Baez), "Enhancements in Topological Optimization Algorithms", Engineering Computations, 18, 3/4, 663-675, 2001.
112. "Second Derivative Patch Recovery Techniques", Invited Keynote Lecture, NSF Conf. Superconvergence in Finite Element Methods, Texas Tech Univ., May, 2000
111. (With Singh, M.), "Object-Oriented Fortran 90 P-Adaptive Finite Element Method", Developments in Engineering Computational Technology, (Ed. B.H.V. Topping), Civil Comp Press, Edinburgh, pp. 141-149, 2000.
110. (With Bass, J.), "Computational Modeling of Asymmetric Turbulent Jet Flows", Proc., U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, August, 1999.
109. (With Stephens, D. R.), "Nodally Exact Solutions for an Axially Loaded Beam on a Foundation", Proceedings: Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, London, June 1999.
108. (With Dove, N. R., Smith, S. K., and Smith, L. M.),"Fluted Nozzles Increase Penetration Rates, Extend Bit Life", (Invited Paper), Oil and Gas Journal, pp. 59-64, May 10, 1999.
107. (With Dove, N. R., Smith, S. K., and Smith, L. M.),"Review of Drilling Performance of Fluted Nozzles", Paper 99-127, CADE/CAODC Drilling Conf., April, 1999.
106. "Object-Oriented Programming via Fortran 90", Engineering Computations, v. 16, n. 1, pp. 26-48, 1999.
105. (With Smith, L.M., Besson, A., Keene, H. Shouman, A., and Delwiche, R.),
"Applications and Limitations of Advanced Steel Body PDC Bit Technology", SPE Annual Technical Conf., SPE 49256, Sept., 1998.
104. (With Dove, N. R., and Smith, S. K.),"New Nozzle Hydraulics Increase ROP for PDC and Rock Bits", SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Amsterdam, Paper Number SPE/IADC 37578, March, 1997.
103. (With Maddox, J. R.), "A RP_Adaptivity Scheme for the Finite Element Analysis of Linear Elliptic Problems", Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), pp. 427-438, Academic Press, 1999.
102. (With Dove, N. R., and Smith, S. K.),"New Nozzle Hydraulics for Increased Rate of Penetration", Offshore Drilling Technology Conf. (Invited Presentation), Aberdeen Scotland, November, 1996.
101. (With M. Mofid), "A Discrete Element Response of Beams With Traveling Mass", Advances in Engineering Software, v. 25, pp. 321-331, 1996.
100. (With Dove, N. R., and Smith, S. K.),"Asymmetric Nozzle Designs Improve ROP", Oil and Gas Journal, SPE, pp. 42-51, July, 1996.
99. (With Smith, S. K., and Dove, N. R.),"The Negative Impingement Pressure Nozzle", Computational Mechanics 95, Yagawa, G. (Ed.), pp. 1108-1113, Springer, Tokyo, 1995.
98. (With Deb, M. K., Smith, S. K., and Dove, N. R.),"Negative Impingement
Pressure Nozzle: Computational and Experimental Verification", ASCE Engineering Mechanics Specialty Conference, May, 1995.
97. (With Biegler, F. B., Reuben, J. D., Harrigan, T. P., Hou, F. J.), "The Effect of Porous Coating and Loading Conditions on Total Hip Femoral Stem Stability", J. of Arthoplasty, 1995.
96. (With Maddox, R.), "rp-Adaptive Flow Analysis", 3rd World Congress on
Computational Mechanics, Vol. I, pp. 902-3, Aug. 1994.
95. (With Hou, F. J. and Reuben, J. D.), "Three-Dimensional Stress Analysis of the Femur and Femur-Implant System Using an Unsymmetric Beam Model and a Solid Finite Element Model", Sec. World Cong. of Biomechanics, Amsterdam, July, 1994.
94. (With Hou, F. J. and Reuben, J. D.), "Effect of Porous Coating and Loading Conditions on Total Hip Femoral Stem Stability", Proc. Assoc. Arthritic Hip and Knee Surgery, Nov. 1993.
93. (With M. Mofid), "A Discrete Element Model for Beams Carrying a Moving Mass", Proc. Intrn. Conf. Civil and Structural Engineering Computing, August, 1993.
92. (With F.B. Biegler, F. Hou, W.P. Chen, J.D. Reuben), "Influence of Hip Prosthesis Stem Design on Stress Patterns in the Proximal Femur", Transactions Orthopaedic Research Society, v. 18, Feb., 1993.
91. (With W.P. Chen, J.D. Reuben), "An Analytical Technique for Quantifying
Stress Shielding", Transactions Orthopaedic Research Society, v. 18, Feb., 1993.
90. (With J.G. Cailleteau, and M. R. Rieger), "A Comparison of Intracanal Stresses in a Post-Restored Tooth", Journal of Endodontics, v. 18, n. 11, pp. 540-544, 1992.
89. (With B. Ramaswamy, and Jue, T. C.), "Finite Element Analysis of Unsteady Two-dimensional Navier-Stokes Equations", Intern. J. for Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B, 21, 147-182, 1992.
88. (With Ramaswamy, B., Jue, T. C.), "Finite Element Analysis of Oscillatory Flow with Heat Transfer Inside a Square Cavity", AIAA J., 30, 412-420, 1992.
87. (With J. D. Reuben, Chang, C-H), "A Computer-aided Design and Manufacturing System for Total Hip Replacement", Seminars in Orthopaedics, v. 7, n. 1, pp.46-53, March, 1992.
86. (With B. Ramaswamy, and Jue, T. C.), "Semi-implicit and Explicit Finite
Element Schemes for Coupled Fluid Thermal Problems", Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., v. 34, 675-696, 1992.
85. (With Ramaswamy, B., Jue, T. C.), "Finite Element Simulation of 2-D Benard Convection with Gravity Modulation", Advances in Finite Element Analysis in Fluid Dynamics, Dhaubhadel, M. N., et al (Eds.), ASME, 87-101, 1991.
84. (With Ramaswamy, B.), "Design of an Optimal Grid For Finite Element Methods in Incompressible Fluid Flow Problems", Engineering Computations, 7, 4, 311-326, Dec. 1990.
83. (With Boriek, A.), "A Theoretical Model for Voids Distribution in Polymer Composites and their Effect on Setting Stresses", Journal of Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 5, 3, pp.129-137, September, 1990.
82. (With Moore, D. and Warren, J.), "Adaptive Tessellation of Implicitly Defined Surfaces", Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. VII, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), Academic Press, 1990.
81. (With Ramaswamy, B.), "Incompressible Flows Using A Semi-Implicit Finite Element Method", Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. VII, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), Academic Press, 1990.
80. (With Boriek, A. M., and Armeniades, C. D.), "Setting Stresses in Polymer Composites with Multiple-Size Particles", ASCE J. Materials in Civil Engineering, v. 1, n. 2, 217-236, Nov., 1989.
79. "Using the Simplex Search Method for Optimum Designs", Proc., Intern. Applied Mechanical Systems Design Conference, pp. T3.1-11, June, 1989.
78. (With Kwon, Y. W.), "Development of a Derivative Singular Element for Application to Crack Propagation Problems", Computers and Structures, 31, 3, 467-471, 1989.
77. (With J. D. Reuben, and F. Hou), "The Effect of the Fibula-Interosseous
Membrane Complex on the Proximal Tibial Stress Distribution", Orthopaedic Research Society, Feb. 1989.
76. (With Ghanem, R., and Spanos, P. D.), "Orthogonal Expansion for Beam
Variability", Proceedings ASCE Joint Specialty Conf. on Probabilistic Methods, pp. 156-159, VPI, May, 1988.
75. (With C. Chang), "Quad tree Adaptive Mesh Generation for Economics in Flow Analysis", Computational Methods in Flow Analysis, Niki, H. and Kawahara, M. (Eds), Okayama Univ. Press, 1059-1066, 1988.
74. (With Y. W. Kwon), "Analysis of Layered Composite Plates Using a High-Order Deformation Theory", Computers & Structures, 1988.
73. (With M. Mofid), "Numerical Solution for Response of Beams with a Moving Mass", ASCE, J. Structural Division, 115, 1, 120-131, 1989.
72. (With Boriek, A. M., and Armeniades, C. D.), “Setting Stress Distribution in Particle Reinforced Polymer Composites", J. of Composite Materials, 22, 10, 986-1002, Oct., 1988.
71. (With F. Hou), "An Automatic Algorithm for a Modular Approach to Computer-Aided Kinematics Analysis of Planar Mechanisms", Proc. Applied Mechanisms Conference, OSU Press, pp. 402-406, 1987.
70. (With Y. W. Kwon), "Analysis of Plates with Through-Wall Cracks Using a Hybrid-Strain Element", Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. VI, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), pp. 115-122, Academic Press, 1987.
69. (With W. H. Gray),"A Raster Scan Algorithm for the Display of Visible Parametric Surfaces", Computers in Engineering, 1987, v. 2, pp. 193-197, ASME G0399B, NY, 1987.
68. (With Y. W. Kwon), A Simple Efficient Algorithm for Elastic-Plastic Plate Bending, Engineering Computations, v. 3, n. 4, pp. 283-286, Dec. 1987.
67. "Detecting and Avoiding Numerical Difficulties in Finite Element Analysis of TWS", Chapter 5, Finite Element Method Applied to Thin Wall Structures, Elsevier, J. W. Bull (Ed), 1987.
66. "Experiences with Computer Assisted Mechanical Design", UPCAEDM Conference, VPI Press, pp. 1-6, Aug. 1986.
65. "Implementing FEA and CAD on Personal Computers and Workstations", Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, v. 2, n. 1-2, 19-40, 1986.
64. (With Y. W. Kwon), "Materially Nonlinear Analysis of Body Contact Using a Finite Element Method", Engineering Computations, v. 3, n. 4, Dec., 1986.
63. (With Y. W. Kwon), "A Mixed Finite Element Method for Layered Composite Plates," Computational Mechanics, (S. Atluri, G. Yagawa, Eds.) pp. 196 - 1102, Springer-Verlag, 1986.
62. (With Y. W. Kwon), "Linear elastic and non-linear elastoplastic plate bending analysis using a mixed Galerkin finite element technique", Engineering Computations, v. 1, n. 3, pp. 268-272, 1984.
61. (With R. J. Kipp), "Combining Isoparametric and Hierarchical Element Procedures", Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. V, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), pp. 291-300, Academic Press, 1984.
60. (With W. H. Gray, Q. D. Zhang), "Color Displays of Isoparametric Contours," Engineering Computations, v. 1, n. 1, 36-41, 1984.
59. (With T. V. Baudry), "General Purpose Programs for Structural Analysis," Seminar on the Finite Element Method Today - Theory & Practice, Tokyo, July 1982.
58. (With M. Younan and B. R. Dewey), "Crack Propagation Analysis for Orthotropic Non-Homogeneous Materials," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 16, pp. 189-205, 1982.
57. (With M. H. Berger), "A Finite Element Model of a Gas Centrifuge with Source Terms," Finite Elements in Flows, T. Kawai (Ed.), Univ. of Tokyo Press, pp. 799-807, 1982.
56. "Thermal Capabilities and Graphical Output of PAFEC," Symp. Computational Heat Transfer in Structures, NASA, CP-2216, 1982.
55. (With B. R. Dewey), "PAFEC Compared with Other Major Finite Element Codes," Structural Mechanics Software Series, V. 4, Univ. of Virginia Press, 1982.
54. "Finite Element Analysis in Fusion Research," Interdisciplinary Finite Element Analysis, J. F. Able, et. al. (Eds.), Cornell Univ. Press, 526-544, 1981.
53. "Verification Checks of Finite Element Models," Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE., 43-50, New York, New York, 1981.
52. (With K. Miya, and S. Hanai), "Finite Element Analysis of an Eddy Current Induced in Thin Structures of a Magnetic Fusion Reactor," Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 17, pp. 1613-1629, 1981.
51. (With M. H. Berger), "A Finite Element Algorithm for Flow in a Gas Centrifuge," Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. IV, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), pp. 241-250, Academic Press, 1981.
50. (With T. J. R. Hughes), "Techniques for Developing Special Finite Element Shape Functions with Particular Reference to Singularities," Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., v. 15, pp. 733-751, December, 1980.
49. "Techniques for Developing Singularity Elements," Durham Symp. on Finite Element Methods for Non-Linear and Singular Problems, (Invited Lecture) London Mathematical Society, Durham Symposia #5, July 1980.
48. (With W. H. Gray and T. V. Baudry), "Stress Analysis of Superconducting Magnets for Magnetic Fusion Reactors," Mechanics of Superconducting Structures, ASME, F. C. Moon (Ed.), November 1980.
47. "Computational Methods for Local Singularities," Computational Methods in Non-linear Mechanics, J. T. Oden (Ed.), 1-12, North-Holland, 1978.
46. (With I. Tag), "Finite Element Solution of Sound Propagation in a Variable Area Duct," AIAA Aero-Acoustics Conf., Paper 79-0663, 1979.
45. "Computational Methods for Singularities in Linear and Non-linear Mechanics," 2nd Inter. Conf. Comp. Meth. In Non-linear Mech., March 1979.
Also appeared in Computational Methods in Nonlinear Mechanics, J.T. Oden, (Ed), pp. 1-12, 1980.
44. (With W. H. Gray), "An Improved Method for Contouring on Isoparametric Surfaces," Int. J. Num. Meth. Engr., v. 14, n. 3, 1979.
43. (With W. H. Gray and W. C. T. Stoddart), "Bending Free Toroidal Shells for Tokamak Fusion Reactors with Ideal Field Distributions," J. Appl. Mech., 46, pp. 120-124, 1979.
42. "Finite Element Analysis in Fusion Research," NSF US-Japan Seminar on Interdisciplinary Finite Element Analysis, August 1978.
41. (With W. C. T. Stoddart), "Plane Intersections and Contours for General Isoparametric Solids," Symp. Future Trends in Computerized Structural Analysis and Synthesis, November 1978.
40. (With R. E. Fulford), "A Direct Element Resequencing Procedure," NASA CP 2059, Research in Computerized Structural Analysis and Synthesis, pp. 195-203, November 1978.
39. "Finite Element Formulations of Flows with Singularities", 2nd Int. Conf. on Finite Elements in Water Resources, July 1978.
38. (With J. R. Whiteman), "Finite Elements, Singularities and Fracture," Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. III. J.R. Whiteman (Ed.), pp. 35-54, Academic Press, 1978.
37. "Elements for the Analysis of Line Singularities," Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, Vol. III, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), pp. 65-76, Academic Press, 1978.
36. (With I. Tag), "Finite Element Solution of Sound Propagation in Variable Ducts," 3rd Int. Conf. The Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, April 1978.
35. (With J. W. Wooten), "Tokomak Plasma Equilibria by Finite Elements," R. H. Gallagher (Ed.), Finite Elements in Fluids III, Chapter 21, John Wiley, New York, 1978.
34. (With S. Swamy), "Analysis of Material Interface Cracks by Singularity Elements," Num. Meth. in Fracture Mechanics, A. R. Luxmore, et. al. (Eds), Pineridge Press, pp.747-754, 1978.
33. (With W. H. Gray), "Contouring on Isoparametric Surfaces", Intern. J. Num. Meth. for Engineering, December 1977.
32. (With W. H. Gray and W. C. T. Stoddart), "Bending Free Toroidal Shells for Tokomak Fusion Reactors," 7th Symp. Eng. Probs. of Fusion Research, IEEE Pub. 77CH1268-4-NPS, pp. 855-864, 1977.
31. (With W. C. T. Stoddart), "Magnetoelastic Energy Calculations for Finite Element Stress Analysis," 7th Symp. Eng. Probs. Of Fusion Research, IEEE Pub. 77-CH1267-4-NPS, pp. 772-775, 1977.
30. (With W. H. Gray), "Finite Element Stress Analysis of Orthotropic Solenoids," 7th Symp. Eng. Probs. of Fusion Research, IEEE Pub. 77CH1267-4-NPS, pp. 851-853, 1977.
29. "A General Purpose Educational and Research Code, MODEL", Symp. Applications of Computer Methods in Engineering, Univ. So. California, August 1977.
28. "Physical Bases for Design of Special Finite Element Interpolation Functions," Soc. for Engineering Sciences Annual Meeting, November 1977.
27. (With R. M. Pardue), "Nonlinear Creep Analysis by the Path Function Method," 4th SMiRT, 1977.
26. "A Multilayer Beam Element for Conductors," 6th Canadian Congress Appl. Mech., May 1977.
25. "Integration Over the Unit Triangle," Intern. J. Num. Meth. in Engineering, 11, 2, pp. 386-387, 1977.
24. Invited Review of "Stress Transients in Solids," by J. S. Rinehart, Hyperdynamics Press, 1975, Nuclear Science and Engineering Journal, A.N.S., 62, 2, Feb. 1977.
23. (With A. Moazed), "Finite Element Calculation of Stress-Induced Heating of Superconductors," Applied Superconductivity Conference, Aug. 1976.
22. (With J. W. Wooten), "Tokamak Plasma Equilibria Flow Via Finite Elements," Sec. Intern. Symp. Finite Element Methods in Flow Problems, June 1976.
21. "Finite Element Analysis of Fields with Boundary Singularities," Inter. Conf. Num. Meth. in Electric and Magnetic Field Problems, May 1976.
20. (With W. H. Gray), "Finite Element Stress Analysis of High Field Solenoids," Sixth Symp. Engr. Prob. Fusion Research, IEEE Pub. 75CH1097-5-NPS, pp. 240-242, 1976.
19. "The Generation of Elements with Singularities," Intern. J. Num. Meth. in Engineering, 10, 1249-1259, 1976.
18. (With R. M. Pardue). "Element Resequencing of Frontal Solutions," The Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, II, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), Academic Press, 535-541, 1976.
17. Invited Review of "Compressible Seal Flow Analysis Using the Finite Element Method with the Galerkin Solution Technique", J. Lubrication Technology, Jan. 1976.
16. (With B. R. Dewey, M. Younan), "Fracture Mechanics of Weldments Using Finite Elements," 3rd Intr. Conf. on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, London, Sept. 1975.
15. (With S. K. Sen Gupta), "A Numerical Study of Coefficient Modeling," A.I.C.A. Symp. Computer Methods for Partial Differential Equations, April 1975.
14. "Application of the Finite Element Method to Scalar Field Problems," Symp. Foundations and Applications of Finite Element Methods, Oak Ridge National Lab, Sept. 1974.
13. "Stress Analysis of Surgical Implants," Annual Meeting Tenn. Acad. Science, Nashville, Tennessee, Nov. 1973.
12. (With B. R. Dewey), "Orthopedic Biomechanics," Tennessee Engineer, 18-19, Oct. 1973.
11. (With W. B. Campbell and S. A. Swamy), "Finite Element Analysis of Prosthesis Designs and Implant Sites," 26th Annual Conf. Engr. in Medicine and Biology, Minneapolis, MN, October 1973.
10. "A Least Squares Finite Element Solution of Nonlinear Equations", The Mathematics of Finite Elements and Applications, J. R. Whiteman (Ed.), Academic Press, London, pp. 153-162, 1973.
9. (With S. K. Sen Gupta), "Finite Element Application of Least Square Techniques," Variational Methods in Engineering, C. A. Brebbia (Ed.), Southampton Univ. Press, V. 1, 5/82-8/88, 1973.
8. "A Note on Control System Model Simplification", International Journal of Control, 14, pp. 989-993, 1971.
7. "Experiences in Teaching Computing to Freshmen,", Conf. Use of Computers in Education, April 1971.
6. "Calculation of Mean Areal Depth of Precipitation," Journal of Hydrology, 2, pp. 560-574, 1971.
5. "Membrane Analysis of a Spiral Barrel Vault," Bulletin I.A.S.S., No. 41, pp. 3-6, 1971.
4. (With J. Counts), "On Rational Approximations to the Inverse Laplace Transform", J. of Applied Mathematics, S.I.A.M., 17, 6 1035-1040, Nov. 1969.
3. "Simplified Calculation of Edge Effects in Conical Shells", International Colloquium on Progress of Shell Structures, I.A.S.S., Vol. III, Madrid, Spain, Sept. 1969.
2. (With J. Counts), "The Application of Continued Fractions to Wave Propagation in a Semi-Infinite Elastic Cylindrical Membrane," Journal of Applied Mechanics, pp. 420-424, Sept. 1969.
1. (With G. R. Buchanan), "The Deflection Analysis of Structural Nets Using the Reflection Method," Space Structures, R. M. Davis (Ed.), Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp. 916-924, 1967.
1998-2006: University Promotion & Tenure Committee
2003-2004: Speaker of Rice University Faculty
1998-2004: University Council
1998-2004: Faculty Council
1998-2004: Associate Chairman, MEMS Department
1997,1998: Chairman, MEMS Department
1998: Graduate Council
1987-1996: OWLNET Computer System Steering Committee
1994-1996: University Affirmative Action Committee
1985-1993: Faculty Council
1986-1991: Chairman, MEMS Department
1988-1990: Administrative Computing Subcommittee
1988: Dean of Engineering Search Committee
1987-1991: University Promotion and Tenure Committee
1987-1991: University Council
1984-1988: University Computer Committee, Chair 1986&87
1984-1987: Engineering Computer Planning Committee, Chair
1983: University Self Study Committee
1968 to Present: Expert Witness: Various Law Firms
1993 to Present: Vortexx Group Inc., Houston, TX. Chief Engineer.
1993 to 1994: Computational Mechanics Co., Austin, TX
1991 to 1997: UT Health Science Center, Dept. of Orthopaedic
Surgery, Houston, TX
1986 to 1991: UT Health Science Center, Dept. of Orthopaedic
Surgery, Houston, TX
Computational Mechanics Co., Austin, TX
McDonald-Douglas Corp., St. Louis, MO
Oil Technology Services, Inc., Houston, TX
Dow Corning Inc., Memphis, TN
Petropak Inc., Houston, TX
Rollins Environmental Services, Houston, TX
1981 to 1986: Eastman Whipstock Inc., Houston, TX
COADE Inc., Houston, TX
Westinghouse Electric Corp., Pittsburgh, PA
Bendix Corporation (DOE), Kansas City, MO
Summer 1984: NASA-ASEE Summer Fellow, Johnson Spacecraft Center
1979 to 1984 Pafec Engineering Consultants Inc.
Knoxville, TN. Chief Engineer.
1976 to 1981: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, F.E. Div., TN
Tennessee Valley Authority, Knoxville, TN
1968 to 1976: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Dev. Div., TN
1966: Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL;
Propulsion and Vehicle Engineering.
CV of J.E. Akin, PhD PE, December 2005